Friday, February 6, 2009

Barley Pulav




I have always wondered why Pulav is called Pilaf in America... Is it sooooo difficult to say Pulav??!
Anyway I made this Barley Pulav some time back and definitely wanted to share it. You have to soak the barley overnight. There is no other way around it.It also is very light and after you eat you don't feel weighed down as you might feel if had white rice.... If you want to include whole grains in your diet, this is a great way to do it.
The measures given are for One serving only [Atleast for me :) ]

You need
Barley - 1/2 Cup (soaked overnight)
Onion - 1/2 an onion, sliced thin and long
Carrots and Peas - together 1/3rd of a cup.
[I have an asian grocery store very close to where I live, and I get this Carrot and Peas Frozen Bag, and it is the equal amount of both, and the carrots are cut in cubes and the peas taste like Indian Peas.]
Oil - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin - 1/2 Teaspoon
Pulav Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - as needed
Coriander Leaves - to garnish
Method
--->Start with draining the barley.
--->In a pan, add the oil and then the cumin, when it sizzles add the onions and when they brown add the carrots and peas, and then add the pulav masala to this and then add the drained barley to it and keep mixing it until the barley seems to get a little fried...
--->Put all this in a vessel which can go in to your pressure cooker, and add the salt to this and add 1 cup of water to this and give it 1 whistle.
--->When it is ready to open, take out and garnish with one coriander leaf and eat it FAST!!!
The picture below is the same pulav I made for a party. Since I didnt have enough Barley, I added some Israeli CousCous. It tasted great also..

No comments: